Tagging all transactions in your database is an important step in generating the right predictions for your donors.
An important part of Dataro’s machine learning process is that all gifts and communications are labelled correctly e.g. identifying Appeals, Recurring Gifts, Events etc.
Campaign and transactional tagging is a critical step in this process to ensure Dataro can know how and why every gift made it into your system. Tagging is the single most important thing that can be done to improve model accuracy.
Dataro has a system to automatically identify or ‘tag’ every transaction and communication in your system using the information in your CRM such as the size of a campaign, when it was run, how many people gave to it, what it is called and more.
Sometimes Dataro will ask for your help to improve these tags so it is important to understand the terms and definitions. These are listed below under How can I help Dataro improve the tagging of my gifts and transactions.
Once tagging is complete we process your data and train a suite of models which predict the outcomes you are interested in and generate prediction scores for your supporters.
Below you is information on how to get started with campaign tagging and instructions on how to improve your tagging.
Campaign Tagging instructions
You're now in the process of setting up your Dataro integration. Campaign tagging is a critical part of that process. The end goal of this process is that we can know how and why every gift made it into your system. To do this, we ask you to check out 'tags' for your historical campaigns and verify or update the 'category' and 'channel' for each.
Ongoing campaign tagging
Campaign tagging is a critical part of that process. The end goal of this process is that we can know how and why every gift made it into your system. To do this, we ask you to check out 'tags' for your historical campaigns and verify or update the 'category' and 'channel' for each.
How to improve the tagging of your gifts and transactions
Tagging all transactions in your database is an important step in generating the right predictions for your donors. For instance, if somebody donated to a DM appeal, door knock, community bake sale or as part of a regular gift, it is important that we know that.
Dataro has a system to automatically identify or 'tag' every transaction and communication in your system using the information in your CRM such as the size of a campaign, when it was run, how many people gave to it, what it is called and more.
Sometimes Dataro will ask for your help in improving these tags. To do that you will firstly need to understand the different Dataro Category Tags and Dataro Channel Tags.
Dataro Category Tags
- Appeal: Gifts to an appeal with a single ask (e.g.,Tax DM Appeal)
- Newsletter: Gifts to a periodic newsletter (e.g., Monthly newsletter)
- Acquisition: Gifts from new donors who have not given before (e.g., List swap DM Acquisition)
- Event: Donations made at events (e.g. Gala Dinner)
- Raffle: Donations made for the chance at a prize (e.g. "New Year New Car" Raffle)
- Merchandise: Transactions for items bought via a store (eg. Online T-Shirt purchase)
- Community: Gifts made to a community event to support the charity (e.g. Bake-sales)
- Peer-to-Peer: Gifts made via crowdfunding (e.g. Everyday Hero)
- Emergency: A special subcategory of Appeals, in which the Appeal is launched in response to a recent event relating to Emergency or Disaster relief (e.g. 2022 Ukraine Conflict).
- Gifts in Will: Gifts made in a will (e.g. Bequests)
- Trusts & Foundations: Gifts made on behalf of a trust or foundation
- Membership: Membership payments (e.g. Sporting club membership)
- RG Acquisition: A campaign for the purpose of acquiring new donors specifically for Recurring Giving
- RG Upgrade: A campaign targeted at existing recurring givers to encourage them to increase their gift amount
- RG Retention: A campaign to proactively prevent donors from canceling their recurring giving
- RG Reactivation: A campaign to reactivate lapsed recurring givers
- Convert to RG: A program that seeks to convert donors from single giving to recurring giving
- Receipt: A communication that is sent to a donor as a receipt of an earlier donation. Very occasionally donors will contribute as a response to a receipt.
- Workplace Giving: Regular contributions made as part of an employee’s salary
- Stewardship: Stewardship activities made to potential major donors
- Thank You: A thank you communication without an ask (e.g., Giving 12 months Thank You)
- Petition: A sign-up through a form or signature (e.g., Facebook Save the Climate leads)
- In Memory: Gifts made in memory of an individual.
- Corporate: Gifts made on behalf of corporate entities
- Survey: A campaign that has the purpose of collating donor attitudes to particular questions and issues.
- RG Declines: A campaign undertaken to resolve RG payment issues with donors.
- Administration: Communications sent for purely administrative purposes, i.e. to inform donors that their annual receipts are being prepared.
- Email to Target: A communication where the intended outcome is that the donor emails a particular individual or organisation.
- Services: A campaign used to to record communications and revenue for services performed by or on behalf of the organisation.
- Government Funding: A campaign to record grants and other types of government funding.
If your gift or communication type is not found above, we have two "Other" types. These are:
- One-off: Other single gift donations not classified above
- Recurring Gift: Other Recurring Gift donations (e.g., monthly or annual gifts made as a recurring contribution)
Dataro Channel Tags
Each campaign you run will typically be sent via a particular communication channel. They are:
- Phone: Telemarketing campaigns made over the phone
- Mail: Direct Mail (DM) and undirected mail sent via the post
- Email: Email (EDM) campaigns
- SMS: Campaigns sent via SMS
- Event: Campaigns made at an isolated event
- Online: Campaigns made online (via a website), or other digital channels (such as Facebook)
- Face-to-Face: Communications made on the street and in-person (e.g., Face to Face RG Acquisition)
- Door-to-Door: Communications made in person at the supporter's residence
- DRTV: A campaign where the primary communication is via Direct TV Commercials or PSAs.
- Other: Any other channel not detailed above
For example: if somebody donated to "DM Tax Appeal 2020", then the campaign category is "Appeal" and the channel is "Mail".
Your organisation may not contain all these different programs and tags, that's OK. You may also have slightly different definitions and that's OK too. The important part is that the Dataro Categories and Dataro Channels are accurate based on our definitions.
When we ask for your help, we will provide you with a file that contains all your campaigns and appeals and the Dataro Category and Dataro Channel. All you have to do is look through those tags, and identify any tags you think are incorrect and update them. You can also leave a comment to explain why you made that decision.
The great news is that you will only need to do this process once!